Building a home can be quite an emotional rollercoaster. Constructing a new house is a time-consuming and expensive endeavor that rarely goes from beginning to end without a single hiccup or obstacle. To that end, it’s important to find the right partner who is easy to work with, has the right style and skill set, and will streamline the entire construction process.
The first steps can be overwhelming. Where could one possibly begin? A good starting point is to form a solid idea of how the house will look. Traditionally, residential home builders are minimally involved in this stage of the process. Customers separately hire an architect, who works with the client to create a plan for the contractor to follow. However, this may lead to additional conflicts due to two separate parties trying to drive the process. The architect may want their artistic vision achieved, while the contractor may prioritize developing the structure in a logical way that complies with permits and codes and that stays within the client’s proposed budget. These opposing priorities can and do cause friction within the operation, adding to the emotional turmoil of the experience.
One simple way to mitigate this situation is to consider hiring a two-in-one, or a design-build contractor. Consider the five following pros of finding one company to do both jobs:
1. A design-build contractor provides all the same advantages as general contractor home builders while simplifying the design and construction process with one-stop shopping.
2. Clients can find significant potential cost savings by not hiring a third party firm. Architects can be an expensive part of the process and contractors will often provide a discount for customers who use them for both parts of the construction.
3. Clients may also find potential cost savings due to a more practical and timely process, as the architect side will create original plans with an eye towards the customer’s proposed construction budget, avoiding disputes and disagreements between the two parties. Often, customers have to pay the price for these disagreements through change orders or redesigns because the architect planned something that the general contractor cannot build within the customer’s proposed budget.
4. The firm is held for total accountability of the project since they are responsible for both sides and provide expertise in both fields. The client can rest assured that the firm will have thorough experience in how pricing, sequencing, timeline, and construction go together.
5. A design-build company will provide consistency and continuity throughout the process that often gets lost when using two separate companies. There is a much smaller chance of things falling through the cracks, as the same firm is involved from A to Z, which provides an inherent efficiency. This has huge potential cost savings and time savings for the client.
Any client considering building their dream house should remember to do their research, read reviews, and shop around for price quotes. However, they just may find that the best home builders will also provide design services.